Our July meeting will be Saturday the 16th at 2PM. This time, we’ll be at the home of Catrrine Ponall, 2818 Bedford Avenue in Raleigh, near the NC State Campus. Bedford is a one way street, so you’ll need to come in on Dixie Trail, which runs between Wade Avenue and Hillsborough St.
This month, we’ll be featuring the music of Taos musician John Rainer Jr. (and if I have time to make a replica, we’ll look at an example of how he made his flutes as well). As always, if you have a song to share, whether it’s a traditional tune, an improv piece, or a jam with you and a few friends, we look forward to hearing it. If you just want to hang out and listen, that’s cool too. If you’d like to bring a snack to share, feel free to do so.
There are quite a few major flute events around the country coming up in the next few months:
- World Flute Society Convention, July 27-31 in Eau Claire, WI. http://worldflutes.org/
- Ohio Valley Indigenous Music Festival, August 27-28 in Springboro, OH
- Flute Haven, September 13-18 in Valley Forge, PA. http://flutehaven.com/
- Sweetgrass Festival, September 21-23 in Hiawatha, IA. http://www.sweetgrassfest.com/
- Native Rhythms Festival, November 10-13 in Melbourne, FL. http://www.nativerhythmsfestival.com/
For more information on any of these, just ask, as I’ve been to them all before and I’ll be at all of them again this year.
As always, feel free to get in touch if you have any feedback regarding the flute circle. I look forward to seeing you on the 16th.